Monday, January 11, 2016

Soju Is For Friends and Family @NYTmag #startup #soju #drinking #history #culture



My experiences with soju have always been pleasant - surrounded by friends, family, and loved ones. 

My first sip of soju was with my father as he taught me the rules and etiquette of drinking our Motherland's alcoholic beverage of choice. I remember drinking soju with friends in high school, pouring each other shot after shot in Flushing, NY where speaking Korean was the only form of ID required. Some of my fondest memories were made drinking soju surrounded by friends, enjoying nightlife in Seoul, as a college student studying abroad. Author Rosie Schaap, clearly understands what soju means to Koreans.  

Full article here

My favorite part:
After more than three, I felt no sadness. Instead, a just-right fullness, from the food, the drink, the poems, the pleasure of a few companionable hours. It felt as close to being in a cabin in the mountains, after a hike, as I’ve ever felt at my kitchen table.
Visit us at The Drinking Press, and let us know what your favorite memory of soju is.
Serving the Best in Culture, History, and Libations. 

Cheers, Char

No comments:

Post a Comment